NLP Chunking - chunk-up or chunk-down
chunk-up or chunk-down or Parallel
In NLP, ‘chunking up’ refers to moving to more general or abstract pieces of information.
While ‘chunking down’ means moving to more specific or detailed information.
To chunk up on a piece of information, use the questions: What is this an example of? What is the intention? The Milton Model, which uses vague or abstract language, is an example of chunking up.
To chunk down, use the questions: What is an example of this? What？Who？Where specifically? The Meta Model is an example of chunking down (who, what, where specifically) -- you ask your client questions to get more specific details.
Or Parallel, we can illustrate the fact by using a metaphor.
Chunking up and down is a very useful tool in negotiations or mediation. Far too often in negotiations, we continue to explore solutions at a level of thought at which we do not agree. The key is to chunk up until you and the other person agree and then to chunk back down to the details only as fast as you both maintain agreement.
If we can use Chunking skillfully, that can help us to be an excellent communicator!
Denise Wah - Our NLP Trainer
- Associate Professor at United International College (jointly founded by Beijing Normal University and Hong Kong Baptist University) – Business and Management Division
- Visiting Professor at The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (Chinese and Bilingual Studies – BA Degree Undergraduate Programme)
- Lecturer at City University of Hong Kong, SCOPE, Business and Management Division - BA Degree Undergraduate Programme
- Lecturer at Hong Kong Baptist University, SCE, Business and Management Division
- International Business Consultant
- International Corporate Trainer
- International Business Coach
- Registered NLP trainer
- Registered Hypnotherapist trainer
- Registered Time - Line Therapist
- Christian - Bethel Mission of China - Bethel High School - Incorporated Management Committee (IMC) - School Manager
- Master Degree in Psychology (The Chinese University of Hong Kong - Graduate School)
- Doctoral Degree in Business Administration (The Hong Kong Polytechnic University)
- MBA (The University of Strathclyde, United Kingdom)
- BA (Hons) in Language & Communication (The Hong Kong Polytechnic University)
- Authorized Trainer of Neuro-Linguistic Programming (by the NLP founder Dr. Richard Bandler - The Society of NLP in the U.S.)
- Authorized Trainer of Neuro-Linguistic Programming & Consultant (NLP University in the U.S.)
- Authorized Trainer of Neuro-Linguistic Programming (American Board of NLP)
- Authorized Master Trainer of Neuro-Linguistic Programming (National Federation of Neuro-Linguistic Programming)
- Authorized Trainer of Hypnotherapist (American Board of Hypnotherapy)
- Certified Hypnotherapist (American Board of Hypnotherapy, International Hypnotherapy Association)
- Certified Hypnotherapist (IMDHA, International Medical and Dental Hypnotherapy Association)
- Certified Time Line Therapist (The Time Line Therapy Association)
- EFT Therapist